Hazeee, and why I love Singapore



Hello. I don't have much to blog about, because the haze is gotten really bad, and I haven't been going out. Our neighbours are starting their yearly forest fire festival (some on purpose, some not) again, and Singapore has been shrouded in thick, dirty smoke, which reached 'life-threatening' levels of PSI 400 yesterday. I haven't been awake much because smoke (even minor ones from 7th month) usually knocks me out, and I sleep. A lot.

Like I said, it's a yearly event, and we have always accepted it for YEARS. But it's gone out of control this time, and people are getting angry. The first few days were the most emotion-filled ones, with Singaporeans demanding for explanations, some making funny jokes, and mostly, curses thrown at our neighbours. Not the innocent ones. The money grubbing ones.

My Reaction (this is my blog, after all)
Me? The first two days, I wished extra fervently to be a superhero that can put a stop at all this. To be someone from S.H.I.E.L.D, and do something amazing, like, making it rain a LOT, when cloud-seeding was impossible. I wished so much to be brilliant enough to take down all the filthy rich culprits. Wipe them all out. But of course, nobody can ever be that brilliant.

I kept myself updated with all the news reports and PSI levels. As the pollution levels rose, my temper and indignance did too, but I deleted the angsty tweets. I feel so, so sorry for the innocent citizens there! They can never, never escape this #$%^&, and they didn't even do anything to deserve this!


Apocalypse....
It's been a trying period. The birds are dropping, one by one, and people are falling sick. Seriously, it was like a scene out of a movie - with our entire tiny little island covered in fog - just that it wasn't mist, but acrid, hazardous smoke. No blue sky, no clouds, no birds chirping. Red sun, red moon. Windows everywhere were shut. We could hardly see buildings from afar. I don't know, it was like... the end of the world, or some zombie apocalyspe and I'm not even being dramatic. Singapore is THAT small. For us to be totally shrouded by thick smoke created by hundred of hectares of fierce fires, it's THAT MUCH.

 
Heart-warming outcomes!!!
The lower income groups are the most vulnerable, and I am glad that Singaporeans, despite this crisis, are lending helping hands to people in need, like inviting them into their air-conditioned houses. Singaporeans are an amazing bunch. Despite the (kinda) panic, nobody fought for masks. Queues were peaceful and orderly, and some people even bought masks (despite the per-person cap, and gave it out to the people who needed them more!).


We worried about the elderly, poor, and construction workers. Nobody protested when the government gave them additional help. Nobody complained when food delivery services were cancelled. Instead, everybody applauded the companies who put staff welfare over profits. I don't know why people are saying Singaporeans are an emotionless bunch, because the past week has definitely been one of the most emotionally-rich period, perhaps on par with the SARS outbreak.

We'll make it. Of course we'll make it. We always do. Because we are awesome, strong, and resilient.

Crises bring out the worst in SOME PEOPLE
My only gripe is the profiteers. Those who took advantage of this crisis and sold the precious, precious masks at exorbitant prices. There must always be some black sheep, huh? You will get karma. And to the money-faced @#$% who put millions of lives at risks (including your fellow citizens), you're rich. So I guess you'll never really get the punishment I think you deserve in this lifetime. But the day you need to leave this world, I hope you never have peace. May you burn in the depths of hell (whichever hell it is), and suffer in eternity, in the exact same situation you have burdened others with.


Now that it's ended (probably temporarily - a permanent closure would be fantastic)
Perhaps, Like many other horrific but sadly accepted practices that happened this year, the impact of this level is what's needed to bring attention to this saga, and finally, put a stop to this.

Now, I managed to write this post without any political references. If you're interested, read up on this, and you'll see why we're all so angry.

On another note, I've been following every action, every piece of news, and I'm happy to know that, I do have what it takes to be part of a crisis management team. Someday :)

(Although I would really like to be The One And Only Girl Who Saved The World)
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Horribly beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

Subjectivity

Remember these local TV Productions from the 90s?

[Guiness World Records Attempt] Massive Robot Balloon Sculpture invades Singapore!